Monday, April 23, 2012

Random Projects From the Last Few Months


The challenging aspect of this project was that my specimen was so tiny, dry and brittle. My task was to dissect and draw the beetle. This was done under a dissecting scope. I obtained specimens from the Smithsonian's entomology collection, 3 that I could dissect and 3 that I had to return. Well of course I ended up accidentally snapping off a leg on a beetle that was supposed to be returned! Anyway, this beetle has a pretty cool defense system in place in the form of a hot, noxious, high powered spray that it can aim with master precision. Predators beware!



Watercolor course: Assignment: Plant Portrait. I selected this specimen from a box at the supermarket marked "Ginger". I later learned that this in fact was not ginger, but was most likely a Jerusalem Artichoke.




Okay, one is a Photoshop painting and one is a photograph. Guess which one! :P   The goal was to practice photoshop skills by doing photorealistic rendering of a biological tissue. I believe this image is of the gastric tissue of a pig. I'm not going to say how long it took, but suffice it to say, I did end up cropping it a lot.




More Photoshop painting. This piece shows the anastomoses between the Portal and Systemic systems of veins. 




An Illustrator piece depicting a first aid procedure.

No comments:

Post a Comment